Sunday, June 16, 2013

Garage Makeover part two

Apparently you can paint over the Cempolay Ultra in a few days but I wanted to make sure it was fully stable before applying the paint.
Two part expory from Floor Paint Express (http://www.floorpaintexpress.co.uk/ which is a trading arm of Watco). Mix the resin and hardener to the correct ratios and then use brush and roller.
First coat on...

 



 
Two coats needed as the first dries a bit patchy where it soaks into the Cempolay but I was advised this is ok. The second coat looks amazing. Although it is quite alot brighter than I was anticipating at least dropped nuts and washers will show up easily.

4 comments:

  1. How are you finding the Cempolay one year on? Does it hold up OK to trolley jacks/axle stands/point loads?

    I have a similar looking garage floor to your before photos - that corrugated finish concrete left when you don't float the wet concrete - and I've always wondered if a screed like this would just crumble out as it will end up pretty thin, or if it would hold up just as well as the underlying concrete..

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaron, sorry I've only just realised I had a comment to reply to. The Cempolay is excellent standing up to trolley jack and axle stands. It's not so good if you drop something large and metallic from a great height (it will chip / dent but so would anything!). No flaking at all though. I laid it about 5-9mm deep. Plus 2 coats of the epoxy paint over the top. I've had the car up and down on the jacks, changed positions etc. and it's all good. I've rolled the engine on a crane back and forth I don't know how many times and no issue with that either.

      Delete
  2. Hi. Did you acid etch the Cempolay Ultra before painting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I laid the Cempolay Ultra in my garage a year or so ago, but I haven't painted it yet as I've been too nervous about it lifting! Can I ask - did you etch the Cempolay before you painted it?

    ReplyDelete